Montag, 10. November 2008

Shakira - Humanitarian of the year!


Shakira has been named “Humanitarian of the Year” by the People en Español Magazine for her work towards providing better international healthcare.

She was selected for the title because of her charity work with impoverished children through her foundation Pies Descalzos and Latin America in Solidarity.

Shakria told the magazine that she learned to have compassion for the needy when she was seven years old and her parents’ jewelry store went bankrupt.

To help her understand that some kids were living in even worse conditions, her parents took her to a park in Barranquilla where homeless children sniffed glue to forget their hunger, the magazine said.

“We had a comfortable life and then one day I was shown something else. From that day on, I became obsessed to vindicate my family, my family’s economic situation, and to one day help those kids that I saw on the streets,” Shakira explains.

“From that moment on, I was obsessed with achieving success to get my family back on its feet, to restore my family’s economic position, but I was also obsessed with someday doing something for kids like the ones who made such a huge impact on my young mind.”

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen